Quick Test: Leader vs. Manager, Which Are You?
I huddled with a small group of executives recently and posed this question, “Are you a leader or a manager?”
Remember, leadership, titled or untitled, comes down to power with people— not power over people.
Leader vs. Manager
- Managers have employees and people who work for them, leaders partner with team members.
- Managers react to change, leaders adapt to change and often create good change.
- Managers have a lot of meetings and talk about good ideas, leaders seize and implement ideas. Leaders’ meetings are focused, purposeful, and action oriented.
- Managers communicate policies and procedures, leaders tell stories that persuade and inspire collective vision.
- Managers direct, tell you what to do, and where to go, leaders create cohesive teams that “take hills and conquer the impossible.”
- Managers share what they have accomplished, leaders make heroes and shine spotlights on accomplishments of personal leaders.
- Managers let you know “they are in charge,” leaders exercise power with people— they serve, equip, and inspire others to greatness.
I encourage you to exercise your leadership today. Be the leader you always wanted to follow. Be that leader to your family, friends, and team.
Here’s to you— and your leadership!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.