LOSER! How to Stop Feeling Like a Failure
I sat alone in my car with my head in my hands, wondering how I ended up unemployed at age 36.
Truth be told, I felt like a loser.
Truth be told, failure is a real part of life.
How I eventually handled those depressing 4 months became the foundation stones of my future success.
- It led me to discover my life purpose: “To inspire others to reach their highest potential and unveil their own purpose.”
- It led me to write my 5 core values: faith, family-first, hard work, leadership, and having fun.
- It became the catalyst to start my company, Steve Gutzler and Leadership Quest.
- It sparked a vision in my mind’s eye that I can change lives and organizations by unlocking their leadership potential of greater influence, impact, and inspiration.
Here are 3 Ways to Break the Cycle of a Loser Mindset:
1. Stop believing everything you think.
I’m convinced the battlefield of our future self is in the mind and to win, we have to feed our minds with positive and healthy messaging. The mind is a fascinating organ that can be fed with nutrients– both physically and mentally.
CHALLENGE FOR YOU:
Select one book that will feed your mind with mental nutrients.
My personal favorites: Winning the War in your Mind by Craig Groeschel
Thinking for a Change by John Maxwell
2. Identify what success looks like to you.
“Success is the feeling I get when I live out my values.”
I started creating a vision board that included the following:
- World-class clients
- Health priorities of the corporate athlete
- Financial goals including investments and giving back
- Family milestones and memories
- Traveling the world
- Life accomplishments
- Spiritual fulfillment and inner peace
When I feel down or depressed, it signals my brain to renew my success vision board.
CHALLENGE FOR YOU:
Let’s create a renewed vision board with images and statements of your future success.
3. Determine what you need to do to WIN.
- Stop beating yourself up.
- Start each morning with 3 things you are thankful for.
- State one thing you feel good about yourself today.
- Define what success looks like for you today.
- Brainstorm 5 new things you can do to get a win.
- Forgive and forget the past.
- Look for small but important opportunities today.
- THINK BIG now– grant yourself permission to think bigger, better, and BELIEVE IT!
- Remind yourself of your unique gifts and abilities to win.
- Ignore the inner critic. EMBRACE YOUR INNER WINNER TODAY!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.