Top 10 Tips to Increase Your Emotional Intelligence
In today’s fast-paced world of business and competitive workplaces, along with turbulent changing conditions, each of us is searching for effective tactics and tools that can help us manage, adapt, and lead the way to success.
Help yourself and your team to harness the lasting and sustainable predictor of professional success and business excellence with my program, Emotional Intelligence for Extraordinary Leadership.
Emotional intelligence affects how we manage our emotions, navigate relationships, and achieve positive “win-win” results.
Here are 10 ways to increase your emotional intelligence:
1. Increase your body language. Try to smile more, focus on facial expressions, and have open gestures.
2. Respond rather than reacting immediately. Remember to stop, breath, and allow cortisol levels to lower. It takes about 18-minutes for cortisol levels to decrease, so give yourself ample time to reflect (and process the situation at hand) before responding.
3. Practice active listening. Focus on understanding and make eye-contact.
4. Be prepared to bounce-back. Stay positive in the face of setbacks.
5. Keep positive. Your emotions are contagious and a positive attitude is your #1 attribute.
6. Be self-aware. You influence others with your emotions every day in every way.
7. Flow with negative people. Build a strong inner-circle of “can do” people.
8. Realize empathy is a strength. Read and respond at a human level – it opens the door to mutual respect.
9. Build your people skills. Soft skills (aka people skills) add hard edge value to your desired outcomes.
10. Be visible and approachable. In the coming year, be more approachable and open to conversation.
By utilizing the skills of emotional intelligence, you will be well on your way to increasing your personal influence, impact, and ability to inspire others!
Here’s to your emotional intelligence in 2020!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.