Do You Lead Others with Emotional Intelligence?
In the classic book, Jack: Straight from the Gut, Jack Welch outlines six rules for successful leaders:
1. Control your destiny or something else will.
2. Face reality as it is, not as it was or as you wish it was.
3. Be candid with everyone.
4. Don’t manage, lead.
5. Change before you have to.
6. If you don’t have a competitive advantage, don’t compete.
As I read these, I realized five of his six rules for successful leadership were about facing reality.
Here is another list of six rules that will help you define reality for your team, business, and personal leadership:
1. What is the reality of our situation? List positive and negatives.
2. Break each one down to better understand it. Who can own it?
3. Can it be turned around or should we let it go? List which can be solved or unsolvable.
4. What are the best possible solutions? Establish a one-sentence game plan/solution.
5. Are you committed to positive change? Do you need to enlist help?
6. Do we have 100% buy-in from key leaders? Reset your “must-have” goals that define your success.
Finally, it takes courage to define reality. Sometimes we have to admit when we are weak, ask for honest feedback from others, and invite “fresh eyes” to check us out and ask us raw questions. Two tools that I offer are a Leaders 360° Listening Tour and an Organizational 360° Listening Tour. On both listening tours, I gather fresh insight, actionable intel, and collectively put together a customized, personalized leadership development plan, plus a success plan for teams and organizations. Interested in learning more? Contact us here!
Let’s Define Reality for a Strong and Successful Future!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.