Everything in Life and Leadership is Uphill
Mt. Rainier is the Cascade Range of the Pacific Northwest, and the highest mountain in the U.S. state of Washington with a summit elevation of 14, 411 feet.
One of my good friends, CEO, David Jobe, has climbed Mt. Rainier three times! David and I have been friends for 15 years and I love hearing his stories about his climbs.
I asked David how tough the climb was and his response really stuck with me, “Steve, it’s tough but everything worthwhile in life is uphill.” David is very right…
Have you observed how everything worthwhile in life and business is an uphill climb?
- Uphill is hard
- Uphill requires intentionality
- Uphill requires energy
- Uphill requires determination, hard work, and consistency
Before you start climbing, regardless of your pursuit, don’t forget to:
1. Map out 3-4 summits to pursue between now and the close-out of 2018.
2. Gear up and take time to gather what you need… quality supplies.
3. Team up by building a strong collective team with the same desired outcomes.
4. Pace yourself but always keep your eye on the summit.
5. Never quit… get gritty because it’s worth it!
Here are a few things to keep in mind regarding your uphill climb:
- Everything worthwhile is a climb so get the right mindset
- Develop stamina by doing small things others ignore or take for granted
- Create positive self-talk
- Notch a few small wins together to provide momentum
- Don’t resist pain and discomfort, master your emotions and stay disciplined.
The right thing to do, the worthwhile thing to do, and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing.
Here’s to uphill climbing and great pursuits!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.