Emotional Intelligence Leadership Competencies, Part 1: Self-Awareness
No matter what leaders set out to do, whether it’s creating strategy or mobilizing teams to action, if leaders fail the task of driving emotions in the right direction, nothing they do will ultimately succeed or last.
Over the next four weeks, we will dive into the core-four leadership competencies:
1. Self awareness
2. Self management
3. Social awareness
4. Relationship management
Let’s start with Self Awareness…
- Emotional self-awareness: Leaders high in emotional self-awareness are attuned to their inner signals, recognizing how their feelings and emotions affect their job performance, and how they influence others. They know with emotional influence there is never a net-zero. It’s either a positive or negative exchange with others. These leaders are attuned to how centered they are with their guiding values. Emotionally self-aware leaders display open communication and are avid listeners.
- Accurate self-assessment: Leaders with high self-awareness typically know their limitations and strengths, and exhibit a sense of humor about themselves. They are life-long learners and know there are improvements to be made in their leadership. These leaders know leadership is a journey, not a destination.
- Self-confidence is knowing your abilities can bring out the best in others. Leaders who are self-confident come from centered-values and often have a sense of presence, based on a serving attitude.
(1 = low and 5 = high)
- Emotional self-awareness:
- Accurate self-assessment:
Stay tuned part 2 next week as we dive into self-management!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.