Embrace the Lessons of 2019: Reflect and Review
When I reflect, I am able to put an experience into perspective and learn from it. Reflecting and reviewing on my past year allows me to distance myself from the emotions of good and bad experiences and see them with fresh eyes.
Each December, prior to the New Year and setting new goals, I try to spend some quality time reflecting and reviewing the past year.
- Provides perspective
- Gives me emotional integrity to my thoughts
- Increases my gratitude and confidence
- Clarifies the big picture
- Turns my experiences into wisdom
Here’s how to embrace the lessons of 2019 to make for an impactful 2020:
- Get away (by yourself) and set aside time to reflect and review
- Remove distractions and take a journal with you
- Ask yourself the right questions
- List highlights with your family and friends
- Note personal highlights of the past year
- Reflect on professional highlights of the past year
- Reflect on the low points as well as major events
- Be grateful for your milestones
- Reflect on your leadership influence, impact, and inspiration
- Ask yourself “what went right” personally
- Ask yourself “what went right” professionally
- Note what went wrong and why
- Make a list of what you’ve learned this year
- Make a list of things you can do differently next year to bring more meaning, fulfillment, and significance
I personally don’t take a deep dive into every category of my life but instead try to pull out key learnings and perspectives. This allows me to prepare to navigate the new year so I can reset in a more meaningful way.
I wish you a year of purpose ahead as you reflect and review on your 2019.
Here’s to a powerful 2020!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.