Leading with Emotional Intelligence
I was speaking with a good friend (who also happens to be an exceptional leader) recently who said something quite insightful, “Steve, like it or not, I believe leaders manage the mood of their organization.” Think about that statement…
The most gifted leaders accomplish that by employing abilities known as emotional intelligence. They are able to keep a pulse on the mood of their teams. They are self-aware of their emotional transfer. They manage their own emotions under stress while intuitively grasping how others feel and helping re-direct emotions in a more powerful, positive direction.
Here are some of their perspectives:
- Lead with authentic openness
- Lead by setting the example of managing your mood
- Help others redirect emotions when it gets off railed
- Seek feedback on your personal emotional impact and put personal development plans in place
- Help others keep perspective and patience.
- Confront emotional draining members and hold them accountable.
- Lead by keeping balanced and healthy.
- Know you are able to prime good feelings and in turn get better results from your team.
Leading by Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay calm under pressure and be the one other choose to follow.
- Know how your emotions impact the behaviors of your team and clients. Be calm, confident, and consistent.
- Recognize the ripple effect of your mood. Be intentional and remember positive energy can counter negative feelings.
- Choose to be the one others choose to follow.
Here’s to Leading with Emotional Intelligence!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.