Do You Lead Others with Emotional Intelligence?
- Pull us forward to greatness
- Motivate us to achieve more than we thought possible
- Energize us with a vision for the future
- Demonstrate determination during temporary setbacks
- Cultivate and maintain lasting relationships with others
According to the Stanford Research Institute, the money you make and the people you influence are determined only by 12.5% (knowledge IQ) and 87.5% by your ability to deal with people (social skills/emotional intelligence).
Sometimes we forget the wise advice of Teddy Roosevelt, “The single, most important ingredient to the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people.”
Do you lead others with emotional intelligence?
Here’s a short checklist:
1. Emotional Self-Awareness
- I can decipher my emotions when experiencing them
- I understand how stress affects my moods and behaviors
- I am aware of my core strengths and weaknesses
2. Optimistic Outlook
- I remain optimistic in the face of challenging circumstances
- I focus my energy and that of my team on opportunities rather than obstacles
- I look forward to the future
3. Emotional Self Control
- I manage stress well
- I’m calm in the face of pressure
- I control my impulses
- I demonstrate patience
- I can easily adjust goals when circumstances change
- I’m flexible when situations change
- I can adapt when a situation or new opportunity emerges
- I strive to understand people’s underlying feelings
- I’m an active listener and listen attentively to others
- I strive to understand others’ viewpoint and take into account their feelings and thoughts.
Like it or not, leaders today need to manage the emotions of their organization.
Remember, you must lead with vision, clarity, strategy, team-building, and emotional intelligence. Set yourself apart, set your team apart, and set the standard for leadership and emotional intelligence when it comes to extraordinary performance and success!
I encourage you to focus on one of these competencies this week—aim to improve just one area.
Here’s to Building Better Leaders!
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To book Steve today, contact Michelle Joyce!
(For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching.)
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.