A Short Course in Human Relationships
“Relationships are the glue that holds team members together.”
— John Maxwell
“When it comes to relationships, everything begins with respect and the desire to place value on other people.” — Steve Gutzler
- The least important word: I
- The most important word: we
- The two most important words: thank you
- The three most important words: All is forgiven
- The four most important words: What is your opinion?
- The five most important words: You did a good job.
- The six most important words: I want to understand you better
Things we need to understand about people:
- Everyone on your team, every client, and every customer wants to be a somebody— to feel important and highly valued.
- Nobody cares about how much you know, they do care that you care about their needs, wants, and desires.
- Everybody needs somebody that believes in them—that believes their goals and passion matter. That they can be great and make a significant contribution.
- Everybody can be a somebody of greatness when somebody takes time to understand their unique gifts and talents.
This week, choose to understand people.
In the end, the ability to understand people on your team (and your clients) is a choice. Even if you are not instinctively a people person, you can improve your ability to work with others. Everyone is capable of having the ability to understand, motivate, and ultimately influence others.
Emotional intelligence is not a “soft skill,” it is a “hard-edge” leadership skill that can transform teams, leaders’ performance, and all-around success.
As a master storyteller, Steve has unparalleled ability to communicate dynamic business and leadership truths through stories, anecdotes and humor. Harness the power of the “number one” predictor of professional success, impact, leadership, high performance and sustainable relationships in business and life. Steve’s highest rated keynote presentation.
To bring Steve to your next meeting or event,
please contact Michelle Joyce at:
“The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance. ”
About the Author
Steve Gutzler is the President of Leadership Quest, a Seattle-based leadership development company. Steve is a dynamic, highly-sought-after speaker who has delivered more than 2,500 presentations to a list of clients including Microsoft, Starbucks, the Seattle Seahawks, Pandora Radio, Boeing, Cisco, Starwood Corporation, the Ritz Carlton group, and the U.S. Social Security Administration. He recently was voted #1 by the readership of Huffington Post as the Most Inspirational Leader on Social Media.
A published author on leadership and emotional intelligence, Steve resides near Seattle with his wife Julie where they enjoy time with their three adult children and six grandchildren.