Do you stand out as a leader? Are you confident when meeting new people?
Remember, first impressions matter and are often the difference between average, good, or great. Leaders should have the ability to connect and be memorable.
I remind myself when meeting new people or preparing for a keynote presentation or training, to not commit the following 4 pitfalls:
- Being Unprepared
- Uninterested (or uninteresting)
In order to avoid these pitfalls, Emotionally Intelligent Leaders should focus on sharpening certain areas of their leadership. From making a great first impression to various daily interactions, the following skills are a "must" for leaders.
10 Skills to Set You Apart:
- Make others comfortable by being comfortable with yourself.
- Be calm and confident.
- Have comfortable body language and smile.
- Show sincere interest in others. Do not scan the room, looking for someone more important.
- Maintain focus and eye contact.
- Convey a sense of positive energy and enthusiasm.
- Ask questions and treat everyone like a "10".
- Have a quality 90 second description of what you do scripted out and be able to naturally deliver it to others.
- Introduce people to each other with an infectious enthusiasm.
- Convey humility and genuinely like people. The core of connecting with people is sensitivity.
This week you will have the opportunity to meet new people. If you want to connect with others it will require energy and intentionality. Strive to improve your first impressions and become confident when meeting new people.
I encourage you to grow your skills as a memorable leader! Here's to connecting!
For information on keynote presentations, team workshops, and one on one coaching, contact Steve's team at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: (425) 681-9871.
The purpose of Leadership Quest is to help professionals develop their personal leadership, vision and emotional intelligence. Everyday I strive to help leaders and teams achieve their desired goals in sales productivity, leadership, time maximization, and life-balance.
Copyright © 2016
Steve Gutzler and Leadership Quest
All rights reserved.